Applicants holding a PhD or who are eligible to be a junior professor in the historical humanities are invited to apply for the research scholarships by the GHS, independent of nationality or place of work. The funding is granted to candidates wishing to carry out an independent research project alone. Post-doctoral scientists receive a scholarship base amount of 2,300 EUR each month, the grant for scientists with a post-doctoral lecturer qualification is worth 3,100 EUR. There are additional benefits, such as allowances for accompanying children or to cover printing costs, if necessary. Please note that income from employment and scholarship income are mutually exclusive. The funding period ranges from 1 to 24 months.
Scientists holding a PhD or who are eligible to be a junior professor from the historical humanities wishing to carry out an independent research project alone. Research projects from the following subjects are given funding priority:
- history of art
- historical Islamic studies
- history of science
- prehistory and early history
- history of law
doctorate or post-doctoral lecturer qualification in the field of the historical humanities
Applications for a research scholarship for post-doctoral researchers may only be made if applicants received their PhD within the last 10 years.
Number of Scholarships
About 20.7% of the applicants are awarded scholarships.
maximum of 2 years with the option to extend the funding, if the scientist becomes a parent during the allowance period and is therefore entitled to maternity and/or parental leave
- scholarship base amount per month: 2,300 EUR for post-doctoral researchers and 3,100 EUR for researchers with a post-doctoral lecturer qualification
- standard foreign-residence allowance per month: 575 EUR for post-doctoral researchers and 775 EUR for researchers with a post-doctoral lecturer qualification
- travel allowance: as required
- material costs: as required
- family allowance, if applicable: 400 EUR for scientists with 1 child, +100 EUR for each additional child
Income from employment and scholarship income are mutually exclusive.
Application forms and further information on the application procedure are available here
The foundation committees decide on the allocation of funding twice a year. The application deadline for the spring meeting of the foundation committees in 2022 ends on 24 November 2021.